TGIF!!! I hope everyone had a wonderful week! I am so excited to share with you this salad recipe! This is a simple and versatile salad that I enjoy often! I cannot take credit for creating the recipe---my sister and brother-in-law shared it with me years ago and I have loved it ever since! Make this salad as a side salad, turn it into an entrée by adding protein, or make a huge salad to entertain! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
3 Large Handfuls of Field Greens
1/4 Cup Pine Nuts
3 Ounces of Crumbled Feta Cheese
***Pine Nuts tend to be cheaper if you buy them in the bulk section at your local grocery store (Sprouts, Whole Foods, Etc.). If they are still too pricey, you can opt for slivered almonds!
1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Champagne Vinegar OR Sherry Vinegar
1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
1 Shallot, Finely Chopped
Salt & Pepper to Taste (About 1/4 Teaspoon Each)
Prep the Salad:
1. Toss greens in large salad bowl. Add crumbled feta on the top of the greens.
2. Toast pine nuts. Place in pan (no oil needed) and toast using medium heat for about 4 minutes OR until browned. Shake the pan often while toasting.
3. Allow pine nuts to cool, then add to salad.
Make the Dressing:
1. Finely chop shallot.
2. In a small bowl place vinegar, dijon mustard, shallot, salt and pepper and blend together with whisk or fork.
3. Add extra virgin olive oil slowly, while continually mixing the oil into the dressing mix with whisk or fork.
Next add preferred amount of dressing to salad, gently toss the salad. Serve as a side salad or add grilled chicken or salmon on top or avocado or hard-boiled egg. Whatever sparks your fancy!